Experience India with Kurt Koontz on his “Practice Retreat” in Rishikesh! You will tour spiritual and cultural locations while experiencing the energy of the country. Over the past five years, Kurt has spent 5-6 weeks in Rishikesh each fall, which inspired his memoir, Practice . The story unfolds Kurt’s traveling and adventures in Rishikesh and his personal journey of yoga. You can learn more about Kurt and his other book at his website.
Rishikesh, the World Capital of Yoga, has been one of India's holiest and most spiritual centers for thousands of years. Rishikesh is a magical city on the blue banks of the holy Ganges river and nestled under the gaze of the mystical Himalayas.
Your Experience on the Practice Retreat
This is so much more than a yoga retreat. You'll experience the magic of Rishikesh, Devpraya, the Ganges River, the Beatles Ashram and more! Here's our plan:
- Nov 4 is arrival day. It is a long journey so this day is dedicated to rest and chill. On that evening, we will be treated to a traditional Havan Ceremony that is intended to purify the yoga room, our group, and the retreat. Dinner will be provided on-site in a relaxing setting.
- Nov 5 will begin with a leisurely yoga practice in the yoga hall at our hotel. We will have a group breakfast followed by and open day. Around 3:30 we will walk to Parmarth Niketan for samosas and chai tea. The early evening will end with Ganga Aarti (Hindu Ceremony of Light) on the banks of Mother Ganga.
- Nov 6 will begin with yoga and breakfast. Around 11:00 we will take a 3-4 mile walk along the river to the central market of Rishikesh. You will experience the serenity of the river and the chaos of an Indian market. The evening is open for you to explore the local dining scene.
- Nov 7 is a full day excursion to Devprayag. A 2-3-hour drive will take to the confluence of Alaknanda and Bhagirathi. These headwaters form the 1,500-mile-long Ganges River.
- Nov 8 is a special day where my guru, Surinder Singh, will come to our hotel for a private three-hour yoga lesson.
- Nov 9 is Beatles Ashram day. A car will take us to the Ashram where we will practice yoga and enjoy a tour of the grounds where the Fab 4 met Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. The lyrics to The White Album were also composed on these grounds.
- Nov 10 will begin with morning practice followed by breakfast. Around 1:00, we will walk to Ramana’s Garden for a group lunch. The rest of the day and night are open for you to explore Rishikesh
- Nov 11 will begin around 4:30 AM with an hour-long bus ride to the Kunjapari Temple. You will experience a mystic sunrise and your only view of some snow-capped Himalayan on the distant horizon. The afternoon is open and the evening will be a dinner and moon celebration of 11/11 hosted by Café 11:11.
- Nov 12 will begin with Yoga and breakfast and we will have an evening group dinner at an amazing pizzeria.
- Nov 13 is departure day.
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Nine nights hotel single occupancy with private bathroom
- Gift bag on arrival (yoga mat, incense, journal, etc.)
- All breakfasts
- Pizza night, Havan Dinner, 11:11 dinner
- Excursion meals, and one group lunch
- Each person gets two one-hour massages at the hotel
- Excursion transportation and food
- Signed copy of Practice
$2,300 per person for a single room and private bathroom. Breakfast is included each day and all of our transportation and meals during the excursion days. $500 deposit is due on your commitment date. $900 is due by July 1. $900 is due by Sept 1. There is always an option to pay in full. Refunds will only be offered if your space is filled. The trip is limited to ten participants.
YOU'RE RESPONSIBLE FOR
- Your round trip flights, international to Delhi (DEL) airport and domestic to Dehradun (DED) airport. Make sure all of your flights arrive and depart from Terminal 3 in Delhi. Many of the local flights depart and arrive from Terminals 1 and 2. Do not take those flights.
- Snacks, lunches and dinners (except those listed).
- If you find something you’re interested in and want to break away from the group any fees for transportation, etc.
- You will need a valid passport and a visa for India. The visa can be obtained on-line in less than a week.
After you register, I will mail a signed copy of my book. You will visit most of the places discussed in the book and will also meet many of my local Indian friends that are mentioned in the book.
In Practice, his newest memoir, Kurt guides readers through his three journeys to India in vivid, poignant detail. With unfailing honesty and humor, Kurt treats his readers to the visual and cultural richness of Rishikesh.