Eckhart Tolle is another of my favorite spiritual authors. Today’s post is an excerpt from The Power of Now followed by a list of my favorite Tolle quotes.
You may find it hard to recognize that time is the cause of your suffering or your problems. You believe that they are caused by specific situations in your life, and seen from a conventional viewpoint, this is true. But until you have dealt with the basic problem-making dysfunction of the mind — its attachment to past and future and denial of the Now — problems are actually interchangeable. If all your problems or perceived causes of suffering or unhappiness were miraculously removed for you today, but you had not become more present, more conscious, you’d soon find yourself with a similar set of problems or causes of suffering, like a shadow that follows you wherever you go. Ultimately, there’s only one problem: the time-bound mind itself.
What you refer to as your “life” should more accurately be called your “life situation.” It is psychological time: past and future. Certain things in the past didn’t go the way you wanted them to go. You are still resisting what happened in the past and now you’re resisting what IS.
Forget about your life situation for a while and pay attention to your life.
Find the “narrow gate that leads to life.” It is called the Now. Narrow your life down to this moment. Your life situation may be full of problems — most life situations are — but find out if you have any problem at this moment. Not tomorrow or in ten minutes, but now. Do you have a problem now?
- Power over others is weakness disguised as strength.
- If small things have the power to disturb you, then who you think you are is exactly that: small.
- People look to time in expectation that it will eventually make them happy, but you cannot find true happiness by looking toward the future.
- Being at ease with not knowing is crucial for answers to come to you.
- Discontent, blaming, complaining, self-pity cannot serve as a foundation for a good future, no matter how much effort you make.
- Life is an adventure, it’s not a package tour.
- The only thing you ever have is now.
- I’m grateful for always this moment, the now, no matter what form it takes.
- Thinking fragments reality – it cuts it up into conceptual bits and pieces.
- You are not a problem that needs solving.